“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

~ Dr. Haim Ginott

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Childbirth - In your life and around the world.

The birth of my daughter was extraordinary. It was the most beautiful and emotional event I had ever experienced. I chose tis birth because everything about it was natural down to delivery. I had no medication what so ever, it was not even painful because it was over so fast. I think more women should have natural chilbirth because I had never felt better. I felt energetic and healthy. I was so aware of everything going on with my baby. I think it played a huge part in her development and how fast she has advanced through life also.

I chose China to find out how births happen there. Childbirth is influenced deeply by one's culture. In China childbirth is seen as women's business and most of the health care providers are women. In China women give birth with no medicines so that they can experience the journey to motherhood. They are not aloud to cryout in pain and discomfort either. In my opinion, childbirth for them is very stressful, because of all the rules they have to follow during pregnacy, childbirth, and after delivery.

7 comments:

  1. I agree that childbirth as well as parenthood seems stressful in China. I want the choice to do what I and my husband feel is right, not what the government says I have to.

    Congratulations on a drug free birth! I am glad you had such a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience you had giving birth to your daughter. I found your information about China interesting. How unfortunate that women can not chose the way they want to give birth. It makes you realize how fortunate we are in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Katrina,

    I enjoyed reading your post and "kudos" to having a drug-free birth.

    I also read an article about giving birth in China and I believe it would be so stressful to have to think about all the rule and traditions that are involved in giving birth in China. Although my birth experience was nothing out of the ordinary and I am not a screamer, it is comforting to know that if necessary, a woman can acknowledge that giving birth is at times, very painful and it is sometimes necessary to release that pain through a loud cry or at times even a loud scream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. China do have regulations about pregnacy, childbirth and after deivery, which called "one child policy" or "family plan" based on the ideal of child/mother wellbeing, health, and the population contoling. For that reason I have only one child. Most people in the world can not understand.
    My child born in China. All mother were allowed to cry as loud as they wanted during the labor at that time. I had heard mothers screaming during labor. I did not get training regard birth. But I had a book about “painless labor ” wroten by a Japanese.I read the book. I did not need crying during the labor because I applied the ideal from the book.

    There is an official website regard the regulation of one child policy in China. http://www.npfpc.gov.cn/en/about/index.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara...I did read about how the women there are only allowed to have one child because of the over population, and boys are preferred. It's very strange, but I guess that is just how things are in China.

    ReplyDelete