“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

~ Dr. Haim Ginott

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Welcoming Families Around The World

The name of the country that the new family is from is Fiji.

There are so many ways to prepare myself with the proper knowledge about this family. The things that I am going to do are:

1. I will google Fiji to actually read about the country and thier ways of doing things.

2. I will make sure I learn everything I need to know about thier culture so that I don't do or say anything that is disrespectful or insulting.

3. I will get to know the family, each person individually so that I can relate to them on a different level.

4. I will be very open to the differences we have in our cultures opposed to thiers and the way they do things.

5. I will also be very sensitive to thier beliefs and way of life.

I am hopeful that this will not only benefit my family, but the family from Fiji as well. I want my family to be aware and open to the very diversified world we live in and able to adapt to any situation without being bias.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina, whatever would we do without 'Google'? It is nice to be able to gather much needed information about countries and cultures so easily. You also said that you would do two things that I think are very important: be open to the differences between your culture and theirs and be sensitive to their beliefs and way of life. I think if you do these things you will be well-prepared to welcome this new family! Delores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    I like what you said about google....what would we do without the internet? I am thankful that in my work in head start that we have homevisits this gives us a chance to know each person in the family home and helps us in our work with them and their children. Your comment on being open to their beliefs is something we all need to understand and be able to do in our work.
    I have enjoyed reading your posts and discussions over the last 8 weeks. I wish you luck in the future and maybe I will see you again in the next class.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete