“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

~ Dr. Haim Ginott

Friday, May 25, 2012

"My Connection to Play"

“Play is the only way the highest intelligence of humankind can unfold."

~ Joseph Chilton Pearce~



“Play is the exultation of the possible.”

~Martin Buber~



            

When I was young play was the most essential part of the day for me. Play was where I was able to express myself entirely. My teachers supported play whole heartedly. They knew how important play was and how we the children learned from one another. Our teachers made sure we went outside to play daily as long as the weather permitted. And if just so happened the weather was bad, we had degsignated play areas inside that we enjoyed.

Play today is very similar to the way it was when I was a child. There are basicly the same methods as then. In my youth we would ingage in pretend play, but we didnt have the materials that are offered in classrooms now.It was great to tap into our imaginations back then, and even greater for the children exploring it now. It taught us alot about the world around us and what was going on. In my opinion its the same now and much more.

As an adult I still feel that play is neccessary. It keeps us grounded and well rounded. It gives us a temporary escape frm reality and helps in communication with our children.

2 comments:

  1. Pretend play is such an important part of growing up. I loved the pictures of the toys you posted, they are simple toys, not like the high tech toys that chidren are used to playing with today. there were many more toys years ago that required children to play outside and today.
    your quotes were great!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina,

    I too believe that as adults we need to play. It not only relieves our stress but shows children that playing is important.

    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete