“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

~ Dr. Haim Ginott

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Research that Benefits Children and Families

Children are so precious, and it's important that thier learning experience be as stress free as possible. At the Middle School  where I taught there was a little boy named Drew that was not really computer literate. Being the way technology has taken over, I felt it to be a little strange. But unfortunately everyone does not have access to technology. Drew was very discouraged and ashamed when our school adopted the ipad technology to determine if this was a fun and exciting way to learn. They were trying to see if they ould raise the children test scores by learning the information differently. Drew didn't give up. He went to the local library as much as possible to pratice navigating the computer. Soon he was just as efficient as the other students. This led me to the article I chose entitled "Effectiveness of Computer-Based Education in Schools".

The article gives the importance of Computer-Based Education. How it opens the door to a whole other world of educational bliss. In my opinion the way technologhy is evolving all children should have the oportunity to be briefed on a computer-based education. Most jobs now require some computer litearcy and this will be very beneficial.



Kulik, James A. 2007. Effectiveness of Computer-Based Education in Schools. Retrieved from http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/25814/1/0000377.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina,
    Thanks for your post. It is always great to hear about a child's determination to learn as much as they can! I agree that with the way technology is progressing today it is a very effective teaching tool, however I feel it can inhibit a young child's learning. I am a firm believer in a developmentaly appropiate curriculum and hands on learning in the early childhood classroom. What are your thoughts about the use of technology in early childhood classrooms?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school as started a 1 to 1 laptop program for the students to use technology versus text books. Thing of the program is that the students are to carry the laptops back and forth from school to home and then back again. The school system is moving forward sometimes at the price of the students, as parents can't afford the risk of children damaging the laptops and them having to replace them. With the recession all parents cannot afford the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina,
    I agree with you that its important for children to embrace technology and learn to be savvy! I also agree with Linda. Developmentally appropriate curriculum is key. I think though there is a balance. I allowed children to work on an Apple within my classroom during center time. OUr library had some wonderful links. One such link brought many of the books within my own classroom library to life. The children loved visiting that web site. The children who had access to the computer were children who were kindergarten ready. I think the computer can support and be used as a tool to support skills that we are teaching. I see at a bridge and a support tool to enhance skill development. For some of my children with varying needs it really helped them to instill connections. I also limited time and access and controlled the computer use. Because like you Linda.... play is the most important learning tool we have in our preschool classrooms!!!!

    Katrina, I liked hearing about Drew and his successes!!!
    Great Post!
    Millie

    ReplyDelete