“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

~ Dr. Haim Ginott

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

Danielle : Culture is a group of individuals with various differences whether it be race, religion, gender, or etc. Diversity is a variation of culture.

Phil :  Culture is social moreys, traditions, and tabu's of groups. Diversity is the acceptance of differences within your society or culture.


Generally everybody feels the same about what culture and diversity mean. Basically it's the many different things about us individually that makes us who we are. What I have learned is that Culture is the characteristics of a particular group of people, defined by everything from language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music and arts. There are a few things that have been ommitted about culture. They left out that culture is defined as the shared patterns of behaviors and interactions, cognitive constructs, and affective understanding that are learned through a process of socialization. When I look at thier definitions it makes me think about the way I define culture. My definition of culture is  inherited ideas, beliefs, values, and knowledge, which constitute the shared bases of social action.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katrina, I think it is interesting that Phil used the word tabu's. I always think of a tabu as something someone does that is bad and that we don't talk about. I guess it is true that each culture has its own set tabus. Interesting!

    Delores

    ReplyDelete