“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

~ Dr. Haim Ginott

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

I saw a couple of scenario's where microagression played a huge part. The one that stood out the most was when I attended the Black Friday sale at Walmart. I was in the line for a Nabi 2 tablet for my little girl and there was a white lady in fornt of me that was really rude. At ten o'clock which was the time the tablet went on sale the crowd got a little rowdy. There was pushing, yelling, and cursing. When we finally got our tablets, and purchased them I heard her tell her husband that those black people would mess up a wet dream. I was very outraged, insulted, and embarrassed. I did not know if I should respond or just get my purchase and go. This was clearly an example of micro-racism.

This affected me in so many ways. It showed me that here in Mississippi things have not changed. I don't want to be one of those people that keep racial hate alive, so I forgive those people and move on with my life because if I spend my time worrying about things that I cannot change, then I allow those things to take power over me and my life and that is not an option.

1 comment:

  1. Katrina,

    That was certainly a comment that was indeed racist. You would like to think things have changed; unfortunately, some people lack the empathy for others, period. I am so sorry you had to hear something like that.

    I admire you for being able to forgive and move on. You are right, if you hold on to something, you are only allowing that to take over your life!

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete